Please Wait . . .
David Alaba is adamant the uncertainty over his future at Bayern Munich is not affecting his performances this season.
The 3-2 defeat at Borussia Monchengladbach last Friday prompted criticism from pundits of Alaba’s current form amid the speculation over his future.
Alaba has been a lynchpin of the Bayern defence for a number of years now, whether playing at left-back or in the centre of defence.
However, the 28-year-old has not been at his peak in recent months and it has coincided with Bayern not being as solid defensively as a whole.
After letting slip a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 at Gladbach, Hansi Flick’s side have now conceded 24 goals in their 15 Bundesliga games this season – the worst record among the top six teams in the table.
“No, absolutely not,” Alaba told Bild when asked whether his dip in form was due to his situation at Bayern. “Personally, I don’t think things are going so badly for me this season and I haven’t changed my style of play compared to last year.
“I’ve said it many times: For me, the only thing that counts is another successful season with Bayern. We are still leading the table and I am sure that we will win the next games and, in the end, we will be top.”
Any perceived drop in Alaba’s form this season is not having a detrimental effect on Bayern’s chances of success at this stage, with the reigning Bundesliga champions two points clear of RB Leipzig at the top of the table.
Regarding Alaba’s own future, Bayern have been increasingly resigned to losing the defender in the summer, with Barcelona, Liverpool, Manchester United and Real Madrid linked with an approach.
Madrid are reported to be favourites to sign Alaba, although his wage demands are currently proving to be a stumbling block to a deal.